Air conditioners: Friend or Foe? Okay, really, that’s no contest. My air conditioner gets about as much lovin’ as my boyfriend in the summer (and sometimes in the winter, because I like the noise). As much as I love my window unit, however, it sucks the moisture right out of my lips! I’m just one big desert, aren’t I? Chapped lips and rough feet-so sexy! Because of that, I have more lip balms than the drugstore. Since the addiction often isn’t cheap, I figured I’d do a quick review of my favorite buys, and the ones to pass on!
1. MAC Volcanic Ash Lip Exfoliator. I’ve been told that you’re supposed to apply both sides at the same time, but that just didn’t work for me! When you mix the sides, even though the moisturizing side conditions well, it dilutes how much of the exfoliating side winds up on your lips! Ideally, this would be too separate products (although twice the price wouldn’t really excite me) and they would be used one after the other. Instead, the exfoliating side of the stick is going to be gone long before the other side! It exfoliates relatively well, but takes a long freakin’ time. With that being said… I do love the moisturizing side! However, it’s not such a standout that I’d need to run out and buy another tube.
2. MAC Tendertones. I just don’t understand why these are such a cult favorite! I picked up one the last time they came out (and for some deranged reason, ripped the label off and promptly forgot the color name). Even though I used it twice at most, I ran out and picked two up from the latest release. Silly me, thinking I have cash to spare! Also, if you’re curious-I picked up Tread Gently and Hot ‘n’ Saucy. While the later got one test run, the former is still in its box. The smell is amazing-Hawaiin Punch, anyone? Rather than wearing these, I pretty much just want to spoon the product out and eat it! Once again, though, it’s not that special! *GASP* I know!
3. MAC Tinted Lip Conditioner. Okay, this is the last MAC product on the list, I promise! I have a stick in a color I don’t remember, and a pot of Fuschia Fix. The formulation is very close to the tendertones; the only different to me really seems to be the pot shape and the range of colors. I still don’t reach for this product often-I’m a little biased against having to stick my finger in a pot of anything–but the color payoff is nice, the smell is luxurious, and the texture is like silk! Plus, they’re not *OMG!!!111!!1!1!* limited edition! That means you can pick one up whenever, and not worry that if you missed out you’ll have to drop $50 for a half used, herpes infected one five minutes after they sell out.
4. Burt’s Bees. Do I really even need to say anything about this one? I TOTALLY understand why this one is a cult favorite! I’m so thrilled that the line now includes the Pomegranate balm, and all the different lip tints and glosses! Even my dislike of pot form products is overcome by this brand, as I have my BB is every form! Plus, $3.99 isn’t really a high price for a tube of miracles!
5. Alba Botanicals. Mine is peach scented, which means that it should have been an instant hit. However, the formula is just TOO creamy! No matter how lightly I try to apply the product to my lips, the whole stick seems to want to smear. Thank goodness the product isn’t red, because otherwise I’d be having a total, “why so serious?” moment. Scary. However, I do appreciate a natural product, and the scent does please me greatly. Not a wasted purchase, but not a repeat one, either!
6. Body Shop Born Lippy. Can I just take this moment to say, I LOVE THE BODY SHOP!!! Their products will shop up in my posts frequently (see: Cooling Foot Spray) because I feel a lot better about dropping big chunks of money when I know that the products aren’t hurting the environment, and at least a part of the proceeds go to good causes or fair trade businesses! That being said, my Watermelon Lip Balm has been the most reached for in my collection lately! In fact, I just applied another coat. The smell is amazing, the texture is smooth and immediately moisturizing… I give this one a solid 9/10–it loses a point for being in a pot. I had picking lip balm out from under my nails! However, I got it about two weeks ago, and I’m already about halfway through the pot.
7. Body Shop Lip Butter. Yes, another one. Sorry for the brand repeats, but the products are different! This one I picked up on the same day as the Watermelon Born Lippy (except it’s Mango!). The product is also immensely satisfying, and the smell isn’t that sickening, artificial fruit scent that so many products get nowadays (Hello, Bath & Body Works… AKA my in-mall enemy!). The only reason I haven’t demolished it yet is that I’m saving it for after the watermelon one!
8. Aquofina Hydrating Lip Oil. I couldn’t resist picking up a pack when I saw them at Target (where else?) on sale for $2.54. However, I’m sorry I did. I don’t know which of the three is the biggest offender, but at least one of them has a ridiculously vile, pseudo- berry scent… exactly what I was extolling the product above for NOT having! It’s seriously disgusting. Also, when Aquofina says “oil” they mean it! The “gloss” dripped and slicked, but not in a sexy wet t-shirt contest way! I can’t decide if I’m going to pass them on to Frenemies, or just trash them completely. DO NOT BUY!
9. Sephora Professional Lip Balm. I got this as a random freebie in an order, and I’m glad I didn’t pay for it. It’s not that it’s a BAD balm… There’s just nothing special about it. I tend to stay away from all Sephora brand products, because… Why? I feel the same way about them as I do Lindsay Lohan’s line of leggings: stick to what you’re good at! Sephora needs to just sell OTHER brands (just like Lindsay needs to go back to doing bumps off of someone else’s keys in the bathroom and stop pretending to know a thing about fashion. On pad of her “pants” features KNEE PADS!).
10. Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve. LOVE AT FIRST TOUCH! There’s really nothing to say about this product, except that it’s probably among the best $6 you’ll ever spend. Even the tin is adorable! I cannot wait until I can get my hands on their Minted Rose, Strawberry, and the line’s newest edition-Brambleberry Rose. Somebody, please send me one?
11. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment. Finally, a product in a tube!… and a beautiful one, at that! The lip treatment comes in a gorgeous bronze tube with a screw off cap (no more getting lost in my purse). The product itself is also ideal (I just layered it over my watermelon lippy). It has a beautiful sweet smell, accented with lemon. Every time I unscrew the cap it reminds me of a icy glass of sweet summer tea. I threw this one into my makeup stash and forgot about it when it first came in the mail, but I recently dug it out and have been slathering it on ever since.
12. Kinerase Lip Treatment. This is great for anyone that doesn’t like scented products, as it’s unscented, non-comedogenic, and hypoallergenic! I recently received it in a package from a lovely lady on Makeup Alley, and was so impatient to try it that I ripped the box open in a very un-lady like manner! The texture reminds me of this amazing mattifying gel I bought ages ago, ran out of, and could never find again. It’s not shiny, so it’s not going to double as a gloss, but it still has a wonderful finish on your lips. The treatment also tastes amazing! I think that’s the only downside-I want to lick it off! I’d definitely recommend trying this one next time you place a Sephora order!
Smooth lipped and satisfied,
The Beauty Sniper
PS-I’m sorry there aren’t any pictures!